10 Minutes with…Julie Wallen
10 Minutes at Annual Meeting with Julie Wallen, KCPT, Director of Corporate Relations
- How long have you been working in Public Television?
Just shy of 2 years
- Can you share with us details about a project you’re currently working on that really excites you?
For the second year in a row, KCPT was selected by The Fred Rogers Company to host a Daniel Tiger Be My Neighbor Day event in our community. In celebration of families, neighborhoods, values & themes of Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood. This is funded through PNC Financial Services Group and highlights their “Grow Up Great” program. Our event is taking place on October 13 at Children’s Mercy Park in conjunction with Sporting KC. We are collaborating with our new nonprofit PBS 24/7 Kids Partners as well as new partners to promote local volunteerism, family engagement and community development via fun filled educational activities.In addition, Daniel Tiger will be there engaging in family photos. This event helps expand our presence and partner’s presence in the community.
- What was your favorite or most useful part/session of Annual Meeting?
The Breakout Sessions. I found value in hearing from counterparts that shared best practices on how they engage with client prospects. While our approaches are very similar, I did glean useful information on strategies and new budgeting methods. I plan to stay in touch with them so we can bounce ideas off of one another and share proposals verses reinventing the wheel.
- What is your biggest Annual Meeting takeaway… that you’ll incorporate in your work back at your station?
The PBS Kids and Education session around statistics about children as I enter into renewals and prospect for new clients on our Kids 24/7 Channel along with the introduction of Let’s Go Luna.
- What is your favorite PBS series or program?
- If you could switch places with any PBS character, who would it be and why?
Luna! I loved hearing about the creation of this show, from culture and diversity, travel and experiences. I can’t wait to share this with my PBS Kids Channel Sponsors as well as new client prospects. It’s a great addition to our children’s educational program lineup.
- On days that you’re feeling a little tired or overwhelmed, and you imagine going ‘off-the-grid’… what is your ideal situation? Where do you go?
First I take solace in knowing what a great team of talented individuals I get to work with whom are all extremely passionate about moving our mission forward. After work, I go home, sit on my deck with my husband, we talk about our day and are reminded how blessed and grateful we are