About the PTMMG
The Public Television Major Market Group (PTMMG) is a consortium of 40 of the largest public TV stations by market size in the United States. The group represents 70% of the nation's audience. The PTMMG is a leadership organization within public media that strives to develop and implement high impact, financially sustainable business models for public media that enable the organization to best serve their communities. Many of the projects created within the PTMMG are then shared with the larger public media community. The PTMMG facilitates sharing ideas, information and providing collaboration among its members on activities of mutual concern to improve the range, quality and effectiveness of the stations' services. This PTMMG explores and implements new initiatives to improve the public TV system and takes leadership positions to effect action and the outcome of major public television policy issues.
2019 Priorities & Initiatives
- Continue to build alliances with national partners
- Provide models & tools to emulate digital as strategy at PTMMG stations and continue to work with PBS Digital on a shared understanding of digital strategy for the system, especially as it relates to Passport, VOD & Skinny Bundles.
- Continue to lead discussions in partnership with the RD&A committee and throughout the industry around the importance of data strategy & combined investment in infrastructure such as via co- leading the DIG Governance Committee.
- Present Diversity Strategies that Work sessions and engage discussion around this issue throughout 2019.
- Build on the Emerging Leaders program as year two launches and look for opportunities to work with national orgs to share this and the PMWL mentoring program as models for system professional development.
- Partner with a researcher and PBS to review new models for on air fundraising and what the future holds for pledge in an on-demand marketplace. Consider role it plays in new member acquisition compared to other methods. This project will be shared with the larger PTV community.
- Build a “Kitchen Cabinet” peer network for PTMMG staff & national partners around branding & marketing so our members can lean on each other for guidance and models for the future. The focus of this in year one would be around the new PBS Rebranding & coordinated marketing plans around the PBS app & Passport. Recruit a facilitator to lead the community and work with me on setting agendas/goals for the network.
- Develop another such peer group around Human Resources.
- Review and assess ideas from PBS Strategy Meeting for possible PTMMG investment and modeling. This will be a joint review with the PTMMG board at our January, 2019 retreat.
- Continue to plan, curate and implement three mini-conferences for PTMMG membership annually.